Revive your waterlogged cell phone

Cell phones, and other handheld electronic devices are generally not functional when wet, and are rarely waterproof. Comprised of scores of tiny circuits and electronic receptors, sometimes exposure to water, can mean the demise of your phone.

Cell phones, and other handheld electronic devices are generally not functional when wet, and are rarely waterproof. Comprised of scores of tiny circuits and electronic receptors, sometimes exposure to water, can mean the demise of your phone.

However, your cell phone can be saved if only you act fast before it gets too late. Here are some few basic steps that you can follow and save your cell phone.

Power off your phone: Before you do anything else, you should switch off the phone and remove the battery. If the phone was off when doused, chances of its recovery are much higher.

Dry the Phone: Next, dry the phone and battery as much as possible with a lint-free towel. Gently shake any water out of the inside too.

Avoid Water-Soaked Cell Phone Myths: Whatever you do, do not use a hair dryer, oven, or microwave to dry the inside of your phone.

There are some oven-related success stories out there, but your phone can also get damaged. All those little circuits inside your phone are extremely heat sensitive, it is therefore advisable not to follow this untrust worthy theory. 

Draw moisture from the phone: Submerge your phone in a bowl of dry, uncooked rice, and let it sit overnight. The rice will help to draw out the moisture from your phone, and won’t damage it in any way.

In the morning, replace your battery and try powering it back up. If it’s still a no go, give the rice bath another day or so and try again.

Use Rubbing Alcohol: You might also try soaking the handset in rubbing alcohol, which should force out the water, and evaporate relatively quickly.

Just give it a full day to dry on its own before attempting to power it back up. If you’re still out of luck, try taking it to a certified technician at the cell phone store, but be prepared for the worst.

This simple, easy to follow procedures can help in making sure that your precious device is not a waste and also save you from technicians who can also overcharge you for a service that you yourself can do.

Prevention is always better than cure so in the future you can always keep your phone in a water-tight porch. 

dedantos2002@yahoo.com

ADVERTISEMENT