TECHNOLOGY: How to save your phone from drowning

It is commonly believed that once a phone drops in water, its life is over. However, Celestin Nkusi, a phone mechanic in Kigali, says it need not be the end. Here are some tips to help you. 

It is commonly believed that once a phone drops in water, its life is over. However, Celestin Nkusi, a phone mechanic in Kigali, says it need not be the end. Here are some tips to help you. 

It is advised to get the phone out of the water as soon as possible. It’s housing (plastic covers) is fairly tight, but water can enter the phone in a short period of time.

If you cannot get to it in time, then remove the battery while it is still under water. Water helps dissolve heat from shorts that can damage the phone, so most damage occurs when the inside of the phone is merely wet and there is a power source.

The next thing to do is to remove the battery immediately without even hesitating to turn off the power. This reduces the risk of a short circuit which would render your phone useless.

Dry the battery with a towel and set aside to dry thoroughly. The battery itself may or may not work again.

You may also try giving it an alcohol bath since alcohol displaces minerals and microscopic substances as well as aiding in the evaporation of the fluid.

Remove your SIM card to avoid it damage and consequently losing your valuable contacts. To some people this could be worth more than saving the phone itself.

Once these few ‘emergency’ steps have been taken, dry your phone to remove as much of the water.

You can shake it out (without dropping it!) then use a towel. Do not use a hair dryer, as this may force moisture further into the small components.

Leave the phone in a bowl or bag of uncooked rice overnight. The rice would absorb any remaining moisture.

Test your phone. After you have waited a day or so, make sure everything is clean and dry and reinsert the battery to the phone and see if it works.

If your phone does not work, try using another battery. If not, try taking your cell phone to an expert. Sometimes they can fix it.

But my best piece of advice: keep your phone away from water!

Ends

ADVERTISEMENT