Bandora given one month to prepare defence

Nyarugenge Intermediate Court has given Charles Bandora, a Genocide suspect extradited from Norway last week, 30 days to prepare his defence.

Nyarugenge Intermediate Court has given Charles Bandora, a Genocide suspect extradited from Norway last week, 30 days to prepare his defence.

Bandora, the first Genocide suspect to be extradited to Rwanda, made his debut appearance in Court on Tuesday morning and asked for two months to prepare his defence.

He claimed he was not yet ready to proceed because he is yet to get lawyers.

Pronouncing his decision, Judge John Byakatonda ordered Bandora to return to court on April 22.

Bandora, a former businessman and member of National Republican Movement for Democracy and Development (MRND), the genocidal party, faces a string of charges, including genocide, conspiracy to commit genocide, torture and extermination as a crime against humanity, planning and preparing the Genocide, treason and inciting hatred among people.

He is accused of organising and participating in the Genocide, particularly the killings of hundreds who had taken refuge at Ruhuha Church in the former Ngenda Commune, currently Bugesera District.

Nzirasanaho pleads not guilty


Meanwhile at the same court, former Senator Anastase Nzirasanaho appeared before the Nyarugenge Intermediate Court yesterday and pleaded not guilty on all the three charges against him.

Nzirasanaho was charged with three counts, including genocide, crimes against humanity, and formation of militia groups.

While appearing before the judge, the former Senator said, “I am not guilty on all charges. I have proof that everything against me was made up by people who don’t wish me well,” he said.

Prosecution led by Ndimbwami Rugamba, alleges that the former senator was responsible for the death of Dr Theoneste Gafaranga during the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi.  He denied the same charges in 2009 before Gacaca court in Muhima.

Hearing was adjourned to May 30.

The senator’s case has dragged on for 14 years. The case first opened in 1999 but transferred to the Gacaca courts in 2000. However, he was classified by the Gacaca court as a Category One suspect whom the traditional court had no jurisdiction to try.

Subscribe to The New Times E-Paper


You want to chat directly with us? Send us a message on WhatsApp at +250 788 310 999    

 

Follow The New Times on Google News