Fire destroys goods at Simba Supermarket

Property, including five fridges, and merchandise was yesterday morning destroyed when fire broke out at Simba Supermarket located in downtown Kigali.
Simba Supermarket staff re-organise stalls after the fire outbreak yesterday. The New Times/ Timothy Kisambira.
Simba Supermarket staff re-organise stalls after the fire outbreak yesterday. The New Times/ Timothy Kisambira.

Property, including five fridges, and merchandise was yesterday morning destroyed when fire broke out at Simba Supermarket located in downtown Kigali.

The fire started at about 3.30 am but it was put out shortly by the Police fire brigade.

Police said the fire was caused by short circuit although Energy, Water and Sanitation Authority (EWSA) technicians said it was still too early to reach that conclusion.

The proprietors are yet to estimate the total loss.

“The fire was caused by the circuit that spread from one fridge. The Police quickly intervened to halt the spread to other materials and neighbouring buildings,” Supt. Theos Badege, the Police Spokesperson, said.

However, EWSA officials said it was too early to confirm the circuit that led to the fire resulted from the on and off electricity that has been occurring recently in various places across the country.

Talking to The New Times, Justine Ngarambe, the supermarket managing director, said the fire started from one of the five fridges that got burnt before spreading to other fridges.

“Besides the fridges that have completely been burnt, there are other items that cannot be sold, bread among many others because they smell smoke,” Ngarambe noted. She valued the five burnt fridges at Rwf 20 million.

Badege advised people to ensure proper electrical installation and to be well equipped with fire safety materials.

Subscribe to The New Times E-Paper


You want to chat directly with us? Send us a message on WhatsApp at +250 788 310 999    

 

Follow The New Times on Google News