NEWS IN BRIEF

Meeting on managing emissions Rwanda Environmental Management Authority [REMA] will hold a meeting to validate a management plan of Hydro-Chloro-Floro carbons [HCFC], refrigerant gas emissions.This follows a meeting in Montreal, Canada that pointed out HCFC as one of the substances depleting the ozone layer and agreed for measures to be put in place.

Meeting on managing emissions

Rwanda Environmental Management Authority [REMA] will hold a meeting to validate a management plan of Hydro-Chloro-Floro carbons [HCFC], refrigerant gas emissions.

This follows a meeting in Montreal, Canada that pointed out HCFC as one of the substances depleting the ozone layer and agreed for measures to be put in place.

The meeting will be held on 24, July this year.
Since 2000 a study has been ongoing to establish the rate of consumption of HCFC in Rwanda.

During the meeting in Canada, the parties set a target of 35percent reduction of HCFC emissions by 2020.

International conference on genocide


Ibuka is to collaborate with other international organisations to hold a three day conference to discuss victimological approaches to international crimes that include genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes. 
Other partners are International Victimology Institute Tilburg [INTERVICT], Together Against Impunity in the Great Lakes Region [TAI/GLR] and Legal Aid Forum [LAF].

The conference will start from 20-24 July 2009 at Hotel Le Printemps in Kigali, Rwanda.


Kaberuka warns delays in aid

Donald Kaberuka, the president of African Development Bank [AFDB], has warned of a delay in funding which might lead to a possible collision of education and finance ministers.

Kaberuka a former minister of finance said on Wednesday in a speech during a meeting with African education and finance ministers in Tunis, Tunisia.

He explained that the delay is due to the global financial crisis.


CIMERWA to increase production

CIMERWA, the only cement company in Rwanda is to increase cement production 6 times.

Previously, it was producing 100, 000 tonnes but will soon produce 600, 000 tonnes.

A document released from the company explains the increase has been enabled by restructures within the company which have reduced production costs.

“CIMERWA is modifying its existing plant to replace the use of oil by peat, which is available in abundance in the near vicinity of the plant,” the document reads.

The new cement plant might be located at Muganza in Rusizi district, western province.

The company was established in 1984 and was privatised in 2006 when Rwanda Investment Group [RIG] bought 90 percent shares leaving the government with 10 percent stake.

Compiled by Tony Barigye

 

 

Have Your SayLeave a comment