MUHANGA - a Gacaca court in Kabgayi has summoned another former inspector of schools for his role in 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi at Kabgayi catholic diocese.
Oscar Munyannyindi, the then inspector in Commune Musubati, was accused for providing a list of names of teachers, who were killed, among the victims who had sought refuge at Kabgayi.
Munyannyindi denied the allegations. He countered that the accusations are concocted. He further said that such accusations should instead be leveled against his immediate bosses, like Augustine Hategekimana, a former Provincial schools inspector.
Hategekimana was recently sentenced to life in prison after court found him guilty of presenting lists and photos of teachers to the genocidaires who killed 27 educationalists, part of a wider group of victims.
“I have been sentenced for genocide crimes and pleaded guilty and was released after serving my time. These new accusations are made-up and there is no evidence that I was seen in Kabgayi.
After all I had been fired from the post, before genocide,” Munyannyindi stated confidently.
The Court couldn’t find neither solid evidence nor defense witnesses to pin the suspect.
Court thus insisted that such witnesses had to clarify beyond reasonable doubt on Munyannyindi’ s role in genocide.
At the last minute before court could adjourn, a witness appeared.
Alexia Muroronkwere surfaced to provide the kind of evidence that was needed to pin Munyannyindi. Muroronkwere informed court that Munyannindi was at Kabgayi during the Genocide- a fact he had refuted during the hearing.
“I was at one of the hideouts and we were told that one teacher-Edward Butorano, had just narrowly escaped the death trap set by inspector Oscar and the son of Mzee Digidigi- who were planning to transfer and kill his victims in Gikomero.”
At this juncture, court president adjourned the trial till July 21, pending further investigations.