Stage 5 - (Muhanga-Huye) 80km
1) G.Smet (Flanders Avia) - 1: 49:54
2) O.Ruvogera (Akagera) -1: 51:02
4) J.D Uwimana (Akagera) 1: 53:18
9) J.Rosskopf (Team Type 1) 1: 53:50
10) A.Niyonshuti (MTN Qhubeka) 1:53:50
12) K.Reijnen (Team Type 1) 1: 53:50
1) J. Rosskopf (Team Type 1) - 3:39:21
2) K. Reijnen (Team Type 1) -3:39:25
3) D. Girdlestone (MTN Qhubeka) - 13: 39:25
4) N. Byukusenge (Karisimbi) - 13: 40:40
7) A. Niyonshuti (MTN Qhubeka) - 13: 42:25
AKAGERA’s Obed Ruvogera and Jean de Dieu Uwimana yesterday put in spirited performances to finish 2nd and 5th respectively in stage 5 of the on-going Tour of Rwanda.
Ruvogera, who is comfortable’ racing on flat terrains, clocked 1 hour and 51 minutes; a whole two minutes and 16 seconds clear of team-mate Jean de Dieu Uwimana.
Guy Smet of Flanders Avia won the 80km-race, one of the shortest in the competition, after using an hour, 49 minutes and 54 seconds.
Despite finishing a distant 9th, Team Type 1’s Joey Rosskopf held onto the yellow jersey to edge closer to what might be his maiden title.
The 23-year-old is now four seconds clear of compatriot Kiel Reijnen and one minute and 19 seconds ahead of Karisimbi’s Nathan Byukusenge, who also retained the blue jersey as the leading Rwandan rider.
Meanwhile, two-time champion Adrien Niyonshuti raced his way back into contention after a 10th spot finish. The MTN Qhubeka rider, who held onto his white jersey for being the best mountain climber, is 7th in the general classification with 13 hours, 42 minutes and 25 seconds.
After stage five, twelve riders have pulled out of the tour, which heads into stage six today. The 152km stage (Huye to Kibuye) is by far the most challenging.