The stand-off between Gicumbi District and its former Executive Secretary, Sinese Museveni, has taken a new twist.
After learning that Museveni was planning to drag the district to court, over what he claims to be unfair dismissal, district councillors after a meeting, last Friday, announced the district will sue Museveni over financial mismanagement.
The District Council says Museveni is liable for the district’s financial loss of over Rwf360 million owed to various private service providers.
The meeting asked the district to expeditiously press charges against Museveni.
“We have already filed the case with police as we wait for external auditors to establish full detailed information on what went wrong,” said Mayor Bonane Nyangezi.
The council also alleges that Rwf400 million which had been allocated for economic planning in the 2010-2011 financial year remains unaccounted for.
When contacted, Museveni, who had earlier announced intentions to sue the district over ‘unfair dismissal’ referred to the allegations levelled against him as ‘baseless’.
“In that case, we will wait for the courts to solve the matter,” he told The New Times.
Gicumbi District Council, in July, passed a vote of no confidence,
dismissing Museveni, over alleged incompetence.
The councillors accused Museveni of failure to implement the council’s
directives, disrespecting fellow district officials, causing disunity,
among a list of other charges.
Museveni also wants court to reinstate him and an investigation be
carried out against district officials.
It is alleged that the wrangles in the district led to the district’s poor performance in the recently announced performance appraisal.
Gicumbi District was ranked 27th this year falling from second position
in the last year’s performance assessment.