NYAGATARE - Fire gutted a carpentry shop in Mimuli sector, Nyagatare District, on Sunday evening, destroying property worth Rwf1.5 million, according to the owner.
The fire that ravaged the workshop started at around 2pm shortly after the owner, Jean Damascent Habimana, had closed the workshop.
According to eyewitnesses, the fire was ignited by electric short-circuit.
“Poor wiring could have been the cause of fire outbreak at the workshop. We tried to help but nothing could be rescued,” said one of the residents.
Authorities reported that there is no fire brigade in the district.“Had fire brigade been available, the fire would have been put out,” a resident said.
The property destroyed includes chairs, beds and cupboards.
“Someone called me shortly after leaving the workshop and told me that it was burning. I left my shop when everything was fine. I was shocked to hear this news,” Habimana, the owner said.