NYAGATARE- A five-year-old child died while another one was seriously injured after they were burnt by a fire in Benishyaka village, Rurenge Cell in Rukomo Sector.
Police in the district, said the fire was lit by one Saidi Munyakazi, who was setting cattle horns ablaze with petrol.
“He (Munyakazi) was burning cattle horns with petrol and when children approached him, they were engulfed by the fire,” police told The New Times.
Police identified the deceased as Evangeline Niyigena, who died at Kigali University Teaching Hospital (CHUK), while the injured child, Onesphore Dukuzumuremyi, is still admitted at Nyagatare Hospital.
Domitila Nyirahirana, the mother of the deceased said that she was busy carrying out domestic chores when her child went out to play with other children in the neighbourhood.
“I was shocked when I heard children shouting. When I got out of the house, I was shocked to see my child burnt the whole body. I could not believe it,” said a shocked Nyirahirana.
Village leader, Ruben Sabiiti, regretted the incident and warned residents against activities that could ignite further accidents.
“This man has been burning cattle horns to produce poultry feed. But we wonder how he came to carry out such an activity near children,” he wondered.
Police said Munyakazi is being held on charges of ‘involuntary homicide’.