Remains of genocide victims get decent reburial

RUSIZI – Remains of four genocide victims were Thursday accorded a decent reburial in Ryagacece memorial site, Gashonga Sector in Rusizi District. Hundreds including the victim’s  families and well wishers turned up for the reburial ceremony that coincided with this year’s official commemoration period. Leaders of various religious denominations conducted requiem mass as family and local leaders lay wreaths on the victim’s grave.

RUSIZI – Remains of four genocide victims were Thursday accorded a decent reburial in Ryagacece memorial site, Gashonga Sector in Rusizi District.

Hundreds including the victim’s  families and well wishers turned up for the reburial ceremony that coincided with this year’s official commemoration period. Leaders of various religious denominations conducted requiem mass as family and local leaders lay wreaths on the victim’s grave. A moment of silence in remembrance of the victims of genocide was there after observed.

Ryagacece memorial site is home to an estimated 2000 genocide victims from Nzahaha, Gashonga and Rwimbogo sectors. First burial at the site was in 1995, making it the first in Rusizi to bury genocide victims in a dignified manner.

“We survived for a reason. History should not hold us back, we have to struggle and live successful lives,” said Gerald Gasama, a survivor, whose father’s remains were also given decent burial yesterday.

“Commemoration reminds us of the brutal ways Tutsis were massacred. But we should also take time to look at how genocide orphans and widows are surviving. We should be agents of positive change,” said Oscar Nzeyimana, Rusizi district Mayor.

In the rest of Rusizi, remains of 13 genocide victims have so far been discovered, with further search for victims still ongoing.

Ends

 

Have Your SayLeave a comment