29 to be charged over grenade attacks

KIGALI - 29 suspects arrested in connection to a series of grenade attacks in various parts of the country, will soon be charged in Court.Prosecutor General, Martin Ngoga, said that his office received the suspects’ dossiers on Wednesday, and will take them to court within seven working days.
Prosecutor General Martin Ngoga addressing the press yesterday (Photo T.Kisambira)
Prosecutor General Martin Ngoga addressing the press yesterday (Photo T.Kisambira)

KIGALI - 29 suspects arrested in connection to a series of grenade attacks in various parts of the
country, will soon be charged in Court.

Prosecutor General, Martin Ngoga, said that his office received the suspects’ dossiers on
Wednesday, and will take them to court within seven working days.

“Some suspects were caught after throwing the grenades while other where arrested in their
hideouts preparing attacks,” Ngoga said.

He noted that grenade attacks were organized operations but the coordinators are yet to be
arrested.

“The grenade attacks were more like asymmetric warfare; this is why bringing the suspects
before justice took more time. It required high level security operations to have them
arrested,” Ngoga said.

The Prosecutor General added that the all suspects have a close links with the Democratic
Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR), a terrorist group currently based in DR Congo and
supported by fugitives Kayumba Nyamwasa and Patrick Karegyeya.

A UN Security Council experts report on the Democratic Republic of the Congo released last year
linked the two renegades to the terrorist outfit.

Both Kayumba and Karegeya are believed to be the masterminds behind the grenade attacks that
rocked Kigali for the past one year.

Ngoga noted that that further details on how the grenade attacks are coordinated would be
revealed in court.

Ends

 

Have Your SayLeave a comment