Design change delays completion of Kigali Convention Complex

Lack of funds and adjusting the design of the Kigali Convention Complex has delayed the completion of the complex by a year.
conventional center under construction (photo / T. Kisambira)
conventional center under construction (photo / T. Kisambira)

Lack of funds and adjusting the design of the Kigali Convention Complex has delayed the completion of the complex by a year.

“We needed to redesign the project according to Chinese standard and had to wait for approval from Spacial Solutions, the Germany firm that made the original design,” explained Wang Zheng, Manager Director of Chinese construction company, BCEG.

When a construction company takes over from another one and adjusts the design, it’s a rule that both agree on the safety of the alterations, he said.

“Other challenges include lack of capital to complete the project in time and work visa for Chinese laborers,” said Zheng.

He expects that the center will be completed at the end of 2012.

Zheng said in the interview with the Business Times, yesterday, that the complex will comprise of a five-star hotel with 292 rooms, a conference center of international standard with the capacity of 2500 people, and five office buildings.

The Kigali Convention Complex, situated at KBC, Kimihurura, is jointly owned by the Government and Rwanda Investment Group.

The Rwanda Investment Group (RIG) and Social Security Fund of Rwanda (SSFR) will have 51 percent stake of the Complex. The remaining 49 percent belongs to the government.

Ends

 

Have Your SayLeave a comment