Internal problems cost Etincelles-coach

Saturday’s results Etincelles  0-2  AC LeopardsAC Leopards advance 3-1 on aggregatesEl Nasr  2-2  CA BatnaNasr advance on penalties 6-5MAS   4-1  US KrakeMAS advance 5-2 on aggregates

Saturday’s results

Etincelles  0-2  AC Leopards
AC Leopards advance 3-1 on aggregates
El Nasr  2-2  CA Batna
Nasr advance on penalties 6-5
MAS   4-1  US Krake
MAS advance 5-2 on aggregates

IN the aftermath of Etincelles’ premature exit from the Orange Confederation Cup, reports have emerged that the longstanding financial crisis could have played a part in the defeat.

“Some players were not devoted to the cause (qualifying for the first round) because they had not received their salaries,” a source close to the Etincelles camp said.

Etincelles marched into Saturday’s second leg as slight favourites after holding Congo Brazzaville’s AC Leopards 1-1 in the first leg in Pointe Noir.

But things fell apart when the team conceded two first half goals.

Eric Tubuke Nyemba put the Congolese side ahead with a cracker after just 5 minutes.

On the 32nd minute, Bienvenue Kombo scored the second to eventually hand his side a 3-1 aggregates win.
Etincelles coach Abdul Bizimana could not believe his eyes after the game.

“We were second best throughout the game. We were poor in every department but we can’t entirely blame the players,” he said.

“The mental state of most players was down because they have not been paid,” Bizimana added.
Elsewhere, Al Nasr of Libya and Moroccan side Maghreb Fez booked their places in the next round.

Al Nasr beat CA BAtna of Algeria 6-5 on penalties whilst Maghreb cruised past USS Krake of Benin with a 4-1 victory and 5-2 aggregates win.

It was a hard fought victory for the Libyan Cup holders, after coming from behind twice at the Hugo Chavez Stadium in Benghazi. On five minutes, the CA Batna were up through Msaadia Ahmed but Anes Zagb leveled four minutes later.

The Algerians led at half time courtesy a Boshook Saeed effort in the 36th minute strike before Abobakr Rajeb restored parity on 58 minutes to keep the tie 4-4 on aggregate, and forcing the game to penalties, which they won 6-5.



Have Your SayLeave a comment