1. Oussama Mellouli (Tun) 14:24.16
2. Peter Vanderkaay (USA) 14:35.25
3. Ahmed Mathlouthi (Tun) 14:43.25
21. J. Niyomugabo (Rwa) 23:27.92
50m freestyle, women
1. LI Zhesi (Chn) 24.15
2. Kromowidjojo Ranomi (Ned) 24.15
3. Schreuder Hinkelien (Ned) 24.18
99. Ketty Kamanzi (Rwa) 39.29
DESPITE recording a personal best 23:27:92 in the 1500m freestyle, Rwanda’s Jackson Niyomugabo still finished a distant 21st in the 10th Fina World Swimming Championships which climaxed over the weekend in United Arab Emirates.
Tunisia claimed gold and bronze with Oussama Mellouli winning the event in a time of 14 minutes, 24 seconds and 16 microseconds and Ahmed Mathlouthi finishing third.
Peter Vanderkaay of the USA took second place (14:35:25).
Niyomugabo should be relatively pleased with his latest display after struggling in last week’s 50m free style were he finished 114.
Rwanda’s other flag bearer Ketty Kamanzi finished 99th in the women 50m freestyle after clocking 39 seconds and 29 microseconds.