GICUMBI - One person died and five others, all members of the same family, were admitted at Byumba Hospital, after they allegedly ate what is suspected to be infected meat.
Sources said the family of Faustin Kamegeri, 44 and Esperance Musanabera 40, contracted serious sickness after eating meat of a heifer, which had died months ago.
The incident happened in Munyinya Cell, Rukomo Sector last Friday.
The dead family member was identified as Jean Claude Hakorimana aged 20, while those hospitalised include, Jean Damascene Habimana 18, Jean Bosco Ndikubwimana 16, Emmanuel Ahimanaishakiye 15, their mother Musanabera and a six-month old baby.
Doctors at Byumba Hospital told The New Times that the victims developed serous health anomalies, because the carcass had been infected by diseases harmful to human beings.
“The family members developed health anomalies because of eating intoxicated and poisonous meat,” said Dr. Christopher Rushanika.
The Director of Byumba Hospital, Dr. Fred Muhairwe, said more health awareness campaigns are needed at grassroots levels, to sensitise residents on the dangers of eating the meat of dead animals.
“Cows which die of livestock diseases are supposed to be burnt and their remains buried, to prevent residents and domestic animals from feasting on them,” said Dr. Muhairwe.
By press time, the hospitalised family members were steadily recovering. The mother said her deceased son, Hakorimana, died at Munyinya Health Centre and was buried on Saturday.