Niyonshuti finished a distant 9th
African continental road cycling championship
Individual time trial race (144km)
1) Daniel Teklehaimanot (ERI) 3:54:06
2) Meron Russom (ERI) 3:54:64
3) Dan Craven (NAM) 3:54:34
8) Adrien Niyonshuti (RWA) 3:55:37
37) Simo Dieunedort (CMR) 4:15:43
1) Lylanie Lauwrens (S.A) 1:03:18
2) Lise Olivier (S.A) 1:05:57
3) Aurelie Halbwachs (M.R) 1:08:04
7) Janette Uwineza (RWA) 1:15:21
12) Rehema Nabanoba (UGA) 1:42:50
ADRIEN Niyonshuti’s dream of competing in the 2012 London Olympic Games were dealt a huge blow after yesterday’s disappointing 9th spot finish in the Individual time trial race, the final phase of the African Continental road cycling championship.
The MTN Energade rider used 3 hours, 55 minutes and 37 micro seconds, a whole minute and 31 micro seconds behind the overall winner Daniel Teklehaimanot of Eritrea.
Niyonshuti’s chain brake broke during the 10th lap and had to switch to Gasore Hategeka’s bicycle but it was already too late to put up a challenge.
In the women’s fray, South Africa claimed a one-two finish with Lylanie Lauwrens winning the 33km race after using 1 hour and 3 minutes, while compatriot Lise Olivier came in second place after using 1 hour and 5 minutes.
Janette Uwineza was Rwanda’s best performer in 7th place after using 1 hour and 15 minutes.