US$4bn earmarked for energy access

The Ministry of Infrastructure has revealed that USD four billion will be needed to increase power accessibility to 50 percent in the next seven years. Addressing a press conference on Monday, the Minister of Infrastructure, Vincent Karega, said the amount will be raised by various partners and through private investors.
REVEALED;Vincent Karega
REVEALED;Vincent Karega

The Ministry of Infrastructure has revealed that USD four billion will be needed to increase power accessibility to 50 percent in the next seven years.

Addressing a press conference on Monday, the Minister of Infrastructure, Vincent Karega, said the amount will be raised by various partners and through private investors.
“So far, several attractive energy projects are underway to increase the current 75MW to 1000 MW by 2017.”

“We have set 333 sites for energy projects by the private sector and these will be able to produce 925MW needed, among them being methane gas that will be able to produce 300-340MW, Geothermal power plants will produce 250-350MW capacity,” said Karega.

He stressed that a quarter of the energy will be produced by the private sector, adding that the ministry would help in marketing their projects.

Karega noted that 66 percent of installation of electrical wires across the country has been completed and 11 master plans have been designed for proper settlements in alignment with the energy supply.

“The government is optimistic to reach the 1000MW, because many investors want to invest in energy, and there will be no obstacles their way,” he said. 

The minister revealed that some Indian investors, best known for solar energy innovations, were yet to establish their projects in the country.

The minister noted that most of energy projects have been supported by Belgium, Netherlands and World Bank.

Ends

 

Have Your SayLeave a comment