KIGALI - Reports yesterday indicated that France, will, on October 19, decide whether to extradite Dr. Sosthene Munyemana, 46, a Genocide suspect dubbed to have him brought to Rwanda to answer for his role in the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi.
Prosecution Spokesperson, Augustin Nkusi, confirmed this yesterday but preferred not to comment.
“Our comments will come later; let us wait for that date (after the ruling). If we said anything now, it would just be speculation,” Nkusi said.
In April 1994, Munyemana, then a gynaecologist at the University Hospital in Butare, current Huye district, allegedly participated in several killing sprees that earned him the infamous label – “The Butcher of Tumba.”
Arrested on the basis of a warrant issued by Rwanda, Munyemana has been on Interpol’s wanted list since 2006, for Genocide and war crimes. In January, he was briefly arrested by French authorities, released on bail but placed under judicial supervision.
Rwanda and international rights groups have called on Paris to pursue Genocide fugitives in France.
France sent judges to Rwanda to investigate and authorities in Rwanda have several times provided visiting judges with information on the suspects, including former First Lady, Agathe Kanziga Habyarimana, accused of having been a key player in the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi.
A French court turned down her last appeal for asylum last year but she continues to live in France unhindered.