Fire destroys property in Rwamagana

RWAMAGANA – Fire nearly consumed a commercial and business premise in Rwamagana town on Tuesday.Dorothy Mukamusoni’s building caught fire in the evening, triggering panic and confusion, before the fire was successfully put out by residents.

RWAMAGANA – Fire nearly consumed a commercial and business premise in Rwamagana town on Tuesday.
Dorothy Mukamusoni’s building caught fire in the evening, triggering panic and confusion, before the fire was successfully put out by residents.

The house was full of chemicals used in hairdressing saloons, computers and other items.

Few items were saved from the inferno.
“Attempts to put out the fire lasted about an hour-and-a-half,” said Dieudonee Habimana, a resident.

Security officers at the scene said the real cause of the fire was yet to be established.

“However, it is quite likely that the cause was a short circuit,” said a security official.

The air was filled with foul smell which could have been caused by burning hair chemicals.

“Initially we used vehicles fire extinguisher to control the spread of the blaze, and also to prevent the chocking smell from spreading. Once the chemicals were covered with foam, it was easier for us to get closer,” said an area local leader.

Pierre Tuyisenge, one of the tenants, had all his property destroyed in the blaze.

He said that beginning a new life was going to be tough for him after losing everything, including his clothes.

“I now virtually own no property…my clothes, beddings and all my other belongings in the house. I had struggled for years to get what I had and now I am back to zero,” he lamented.

None of the buildings were insured.

Ends

 

Have Your SayLeave a comment