StarTimes to sponsor local hoops league

StarTimes Media (Rwanda) has entered into a partnership worth Rwf75 million with the Rwanda Basketball Federation (FERWABA) to sponsor the national basketball league for the next three years until 2020.
Desire Mugwiza signed on behalf of FERWABA while Star Times was represented by its Chief Executive Officer, Jess Yuchang. Courtesy.
Desire Mugwiza signed on behalf of FERWABA while Star Times was represented by its Chief Executive Officer, Jess Yuchang. Courtesy.

StarTimes Media (Rwanda) has entered into a partnership worth Rwf75 million with the Rwanda Basketball Federation (FERWABA) to sponsor the national basketball league for the next three years until 2020.

As a result, the league will be renamed ‘StarTimes Basketball National League.’

The Chinese multinational media company signed the sponsorship and broadcasting rights deal on Wednesday at Amahoro Indoor Stadium.

According to the agreement, StarTimes will provide Rwf25 million every year, which will go into running the league as well as other related activities aimed at developing the sport in Rwanda.

The contract will cover the national league (men, women and junior), pre-season tournament (men and women) as well as Playoffs (men and women).

FERWABA president Desire Mugwiza signed on behalf of the local basketball governing body while Star Times was represented by its Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Jess Yuchang.

“We are happy after reaching an agreement with StarTimes to sponsor the basketball league. We believe that their support will make an improvement to the welfare of our clubs thus improving the standard of the game,” Mugwiza said.

Mugwiza revealed that FERWABA retains the rights to negotiate with other sponsors outside of this contract without consulting StarTimes provided that the sponsor is not in direct competition with the league title sponsors.

StarTimes will have rights to advertise its products in all the sponsored events for 40% of the space of the venue only, while FERWABA will also give the remaining 60 percent of the remaining space, to Star Times in case no other sponsors are available.

editorial@newtimes.co.rw

ADVERTISEMENT