South Sudan urges more U.S. support on peace instead of policy review

JUBA – South Sudan on Monday urged for more support from the United States toward the country's ongoing peace efforts, instead of undertaking policy review on the situation on the war-torn country.

JUBA – South Sudan on Monday urged for more support from the United States toward the country's ongoing peace efforts, instead of undertaking policy review on the situation on the war-torn country.

The ministry of foreign affairs spokesman Mawien Makol made the urge following recent remarks by the head of the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Mark Green on his visit to the country that the Trump administration was reconsidering backing President Salva Kiir.

"As the government we are actually committed to bringing peace through the national dialogue. The government is helping with opening up humanitarian corridor with the help of the (SPLA) army," Makol said in Juba. 

Green had earlier expressed concerns about the obstruction of humanitarian access and incessant civilian attacks and killings on meeting President Kiir.  

"Any other position that is being made by any international (U.S) actor is not going to be helpful," Makol said of the national dialogue efforts. 

Washington played a leading role in South Sudan winning independence from its northern neighbor Sudan, and besides offering reconstruction and recovery support to the youngest nation, it has also contributed 2.7 billion U.S dollars since 2013.

In the wake of the peace deal revival efforts in June by the Intergovernmental Authority on Development, the East Africa regional bloc warned the warring South Sudan leaders to seize the last moment to conclusively end conflict and usher in peace. 

South Sudan descended into violence in December 2013 after political dispute between President Kiir and his former deputy Machar led to fighting that pitted mostly Dinka ethnic soldiers loyal to Kiir against Machar's Nuer ethnic group.  

The 2015 peace agreement to end the violence was again violated in July 2016 when the rival factions resumed fighting in the capital forcing Machar to flee into exile. 

The conflict has killed tens of thousands of people and displaced millions that have sought refuge in neighbouring countries.

Agencies

You want to chat directly with us? Send us a message on WhatsApp at +250 788 310 999    

 

Follow The New Times on Google News