Reading yesterdays issue of The New Times, I was saddened about the fire that early Sunday morning, gutted Ndaru Coffee Shop, one of my favorite restaurants and left it in ruins.
A security guard who was on duty at the time the fire started, at around 1.30 am says that an electric short circuit may have caused the fire. Luckily, police fire fighters put out the fire before it could engulf other businesses close to the restaurant such as the neighbouring Alhalaal Microfinance.
This fire is close on the heels of various fires that have ravaged different businesses. A while back, B-Club, a Nyarutarama based nightclub, was destroyed because of an alleged gas fire.
All this makes me wonder whether inspectors, who give approval for houses, make sure that fire safety is paramount. In other nations, housing inspectors make sure that the wiring and safety checks, such as fire exits, are top notch.
For example, I was at a Kigali nightspot and I happened to look at the wiring around the Dj’s booth; it was atrocious. One could see that the installation was done by an amateur and the entire façade was a fire-hazard.
To prove my point, the wires got sizzled and the nightclub was infused with the smell of burning plastic. The fire was quickly contained using a fire extinguisher but I wondered just what would have happened if a bigger blaze had engulfed the place?
At least the place had a fire exit. But look at the nightspots around the capital? If there was a blaze in any of the nightspots, for example Cadillac or KBC, we would talk about tens of deaths.
I urge those responsible to do something before a tragedy befalls us. KCC, the ball is in your court.