FIFA to support Kagame Youth Championship

FIFA has pledged full support to the football youth development programme in Rwanda through the Kagame Youth Championship, which will start in January 2017 across the country.
Vincent Nzamwita (R) and FIFA president, Giovanni Infantino. / Courtesy.
Vincent Nzamwita (R) and FIFA president, Giovanni Infantino. / Courtesy.

FIFA has pledged full support to the football youth development programme in Rwanda through the Kagame Youth Championship, which will start in January 2017 across the country.

FERWAFA president Vincent Nzamwita said he had talks with FIFA president Giovanni Infantino and the two discussed how best the world football governing body can help in the development of football in Rwanda.

 

The two men held talks on the sidelines of the CAF Extra-ordinary General Assembly held last week in Cairo, Egypt.

 

Talking to Saturday Sport, Nzamwita said that a Memorandum of Understanding will be signed between FERWAFA, FIFA, Ministry of Sports and Culture (Minispoc), Ministry of Local Government (Minaloc) and Ministry of Education (Minéduc) in order to make Kagame Youth Championship stronger.

 

The technical team will meet on October 21-22 to review the programme.

“We plan to have these competitions for girls and boys starting in January and FIFA has agreed to give us the full support,” said Nzamwita.

Nzamwita said the major aim is to put in place a sustainable youth football development plan, which should be operational through the Kagame Youth Championship.

The 2017 edition of the Kagame Youth Championship will involve secondary school teams from the sector level before going to the province level and national level.

editorial@newtimes.co.rw

You want to chat directly with us? Send us a message on WhatsApp at +250 788 310 999    

 

Follow The New Times on Google News