The national cricket team coach has urged the Rwanda Cricket Association to organize more international friendly matches in order for the players to gain more exposure and experience before competing in future international tournaments.
Davis Turinawe made the call while speaking at a dinner organized for the team upon their return from South Africa at Classic Hotel in Kicukiro on Tuesday night. The Ex-Uganda international said the players did their best in the tournament, but lacked the experience.
“We were somehow haunted by the lack of experience, the boys were very good, they always looked for the ball and settled back easily,” he said, adding that, “they only need to play more international games to gain experience.”
Rwanda did not win any game in the entire tournament, and together with Mozambique, remained in Division 2 while this year’s champion Sierra Leone qualified to Division 1, where they will compete alongside the likes of Uganda, Kenya, Botswana, Nigeria and Tanzania.
Turinawe’s team played their first game against Mozambique.
- Mozambique 119 (19.2 overs) vs Sierra Leone 122/4 (16.5 overs): Sierra Leone won by 6 wickets.
- Rwanda 118/8 (20 overs) vs Mozambique 119/4 (18.3 overs): Mozambique won by 6 wickets.
- Sierra Leone 154/6 (20 overs) vs Rwanda 132/9 (20 overs): Sierra Leone won by 22 runs.
- Sierra Leone 177/5 (20 overs) vs Mozambique 98 (14 overs): Sierra Leone won by 79 runs.
- Sierra Leone 140/6 (20 overs) vs Rwanda 116/7 (20 overs: Sierra Leone won by 24 runs.
- Mozambique 128 (20 overs) vs Rwanda 126/9 (20 overs) Mozambique won by 2 runs.