KIGALI - Gasabo District has began the processes of carrying out a new evaluation exercise for residents whose property was damaged by stone mining activities.
The new development comes a few days after the residents threatened to petition the Local Government Ministry over the issue.
District Mayor, Willy Ndizeye, confirmed this when contacted on Tuesday.
“We have authorized the local authorities in the area to register all residents who want their properties re-evaluated for the process to begin afresh,” Ndizeye said.
“We gave them up to April 15 (today) to have handed to us a full list of all affected people whose properties are supposed to be newly evaluated” he added
The residents refused a compensation package from a Chinese firm that is undertaking the mining activities, alleging that it’s not worth their destroyed properties, most of which are houses.
The firm released Rwf 16.9m last month for over 100 families whose properties were destroyed by stones as a result of powerful explosives they used.
They accused Kigali City and Gasabo District authorities who carried out the evaluation exercise, but did not share the outcome with them, for undervaluing their properties.
“There are many residents who fall in this category, and it needs a thorough process to avoid further complaints,” Ndizeye said, adding that there are also other residents who are falsely claiming that their properties were destroyed.