KBC refutes withdrawal claims

Kigali Basketball Club (KBC) has refuted claims that the club has withdrawn from the ongoing national basketball championship.

Kigali Basketball Club (KBC) has refuted claims that the club has withdrawn from the ongoing national basketball championship.

1426710950huye
KBC coach player Jean-Guy Rutayisire died early this month in a fatal car accident as the team was travelling to Huye for a league game. (Net photo)

There were several reports last week that the 2011 league champions had pulled out of the Hoops league after losing their star player and assistant coach Jean-Guy Rutayisire in a fatal car accident on March 1 while the team was enroute to Huye for a league game.

The accident also left many players with severe injuries, but most of them are recovering steadily.

KBC chairman Calixte Rutajogerwa told Times Sport yesterday that the club is yet to take a decision but will meet soon to decide on the next course of action.

“We have not withdrawn from the league; everything being said is a total lie. We have not decided on what to do next yet, the club’s general assembly will meet soon to take a decision,” Rutajogerwa said in a telephone interview.

Meanwhile the Rwanda Basketball Federation (Ferwaba) told the club to take as much time as they want to make decision on what they will do next.

Only two players-Junior Hamis Mutebi and Meshach Ryamungu are still under intensive care. The rest have been discharged.

As a measure of compassion, Police Football Club contributed Rwf 100,000 towards medical bills of KBC players.

editorial@newtimes.co.rw

ADVERTISEMENT