GREAT LAKES - The Military has said that last week’s shooting by the Congolese soldiers at the Rwanda-DR Congo border did not harm anyone and the bullets never crossed over to the Rwandan side.
This follows recent investigations carried out immediately after the shootings that happened on Monday, the Spokesman for the Rwanda Defence Force (RDF) Maj. Jill Rutaremara (right) said.
The shootings had been claimed to have caused tension at Rubavu border post.
But Rutaremara said over the weekend that the shootings by Congolese soldiers did not violate the Rwandan territory.
“We are yet to know the intention of shooting but what we are sure that the target was not Rwanda because the bullets did not cross over to our territory,” he said.
He said that residents were only intimidated by the noise of the guns but that Rwandan territory was safe.
He refuted claims that the shootings were related to rebel activities in DRC.
The came just after Rwanda and DRC signed a peace deal to eliminate the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR) rebels based in the Congo.