YESTERDAY’s high-level meeting between the Minister of Sports and Culture (Minispoc) and officials from the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and Association of National Olympic Committees of Africa (Anoca) did not yield much after both parties failed to reach a mutual agreement.
The officials; Jerome Poivey (IOC) and Joao da Costa Aegre (Anoca), who flew in to get more details on what led to the sacking of the former executive committee of the National Olympic body (RNOC) where not satisfied with the minister’s reasons for dissolving the committee.
Last month, Habineza dissolved the Ignace Beraho led executive committee on grounds of insubordination and stubbornly refusing to relinquish power but after yesterday’s meeting with the two officials, the minister said that they had failed to conquer with his move of disbanding the executive committee.
“They insisted that it was wrong to disband the executive committee because it is against the IOC Charter but I explained to them that it was also against our regulations for the committee to stay in office beyond their term,” Habineza told Times Sport.
“This is chaos and we are totally against it.”
By press time, the two officials were still engaged in a closed door meeting with the general assembly of the National Olympic Committee.
Reliable sources meanwhile revealed to this paper that the meeting had been delayed by Beraho and RNOC’s former Secretary General Freddy Somayire.
The pair caused a scene when they forcefully walked into the conference room uninvited forcing the meeting into a stand still.
In the last general assembly, which sat at the weekend, it was agreed that elections for the new executive committee will be held this Saturday.
The elections were initially scheduled for November 30 but had to be rescheduled on the request of IOC/Anoca.