HUYE – Popular Radio Rwanda artist, Dismas Mukeshabatware on Wednesday appeared before a Gacaca court in Ngoma Sector over his alleged role in the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi in the sector.
Mukeshabatware, renowned for his role in various popular programmes on the national radio, is accused of participating in the killings in Ngoma Sector, being a member of a militia group, of possessing and distributing arms used during Genocide in the area. He denies all the charges.
Mukeshabatware, who was accompanied by his two children, told court that he fled to Butare as the Rwanda Patriotic Forces descended on Kigali, adding that he had just migrated to Butare and hence knew little about the area and its residents.
“I was new in Butare, there is no way I could have engaged in Genocide in an area I did not know,” he told court.
During his short spell in Butare, Mukeshabatware said that he lived with his sister in-law until he moved into a nearby house whose occupants had been killed.
He is said to have been a close confidant of Antoine Gatwa, a brother in law of his who has since been convicted and jailed 30 years for Genocide.
Hearing of the case was adjourned until October 28 when Antoine Gatwa is expected to testify as a prime witness.