Rwanda and the international community searching for Genocide fugitive, Felicien Kabuga, might have to look elsewhere because Rwanda’s genocide mastermind is not in Kenya, the east African nation’s Attorney General Amos Wako has said.
Wako, who was in Kigali to sign the extradition treaty between Kenya and Rwanda, told reporters that the search for Kabuga has only focused on Kenya which may have paved way for the high profile suspect to escape to other countries.
To explain this, Wako referred to an affidavit handed to the High Court by the lawyer of Kabuga’s wife, Josephine Mukazitoni, following the Kenyan government’s decision to freeze Kabuga’s assets.
The affidavit argued that all the couple’s properties had been acquired legitimately and that she would suffer serious financial distress if the order stood.
The Kenyan authorities froze Kabuga’s assets last year, accusing him of using his wealth to avoid capture, help other fugitives and “substantially interfere” with ICTR witnesses.
According to Wako, Mukazitoni’s court document had the family’s full residential address of their home in Belgium.
“The affidavit had the family home full home address. That’s what shows you that they have homes elsewhere. Maybe its time to start looking elsewhere,” he said.
ICTR prosecutors say Kabuga has visited Kenya frequently in recent years. But Kenya’s government has repeatedly denied allegations that it had been careless in failing to arrest him.
Kabuga, 74, and wife engage in transport, real estate, hotels and farming. He has been on the run since 1994 and is the most high-profile suspect.
ICTR dossiers say Kabuga was last sighted in Kenya on June 28, 2006, at the Lavington residence of a former Cabinet minister. Kabuga frequents Europe, Madagascar, Gabon and Kenya.
Kabuga was in 1994 thrown out of Switzerland and went to the Democratic Republic of Congo before seeking refuge in Kenya. The United States has a $5 million bounty on his head.