KIGALI - It never rains but it pours for Théoneste Mutsindashyaka against whom Prosecution is said to be compiling new charges.
A source from the Office of Prosecutor General yesterday told the New Times that the new charges against Mutsindashyaka will be tabled before court soon.
“What I can confirm to you is that there are new charges but I cannot reveal the nature of the charges to you now. It’s still early,” the source said on phone yesterday.
Prosecution spokesperson Augustin Nkusi also confirmed the development when contacted yesterday but declined to give details.
Asked whether the new charges against the former minister and Eastern Governor are related to how he accumulated his wealth, Nkusi said the prosecution had already taken “this into consideration.”
Mutsindashyaka is appearing in Kacyiru Court to explain his alleged role in a tender scam in Rwamagana.
He is accused of tipping off Enterprise Alexis Mugarura (EMA) that the company had won a Rwf 1.7 billion tender to construct the headquarters of the Eastern Province before the Rwanda Public Procurement Authority (RPPA) could pronounce the winner.
The prosecution wonders how Mutsindashyaka knew that EMA had won the tender before RPPA announced the winner.
In his defence, Mutsindashyaka told court on Tuesday that he had been mislead by his Secretary on the issue of the date.
The court also questioned Mutsindashyaka why he signed a contract with EMA yet it was the work of the Executive Secretary.
Prosecution says he is party to a case involving former provincial official, Charles Kasana and Vincent Gatwabuyege who served as the Permanent Secretary, in the Ministry of Infrastructure.
Gatwabuyege and Kasana are charged with awarding EMA Rwf 17.billion without following standing procedures.