Blues snub Gatete

JIMMY Gatete’s contract extension talks with Rayon Sport have hit a dead end. It is said that the Blues pulled out citing the veteran striker’s exorbitant demands. The club’s Secretary General Olivier Gakwaya yesterday admitted that Rayon was interested in extending the striker’s stay at the club but that they had been put off by his outrageous demands.
Jimmy Gatete (R) salutes Atraco players during last year’s league. It remains to be seen if the striker will stay at Rayon. (File photo)
Jimmy Gatete (R) salutes Atraco players during last year’s league. It remains to be seen if the striker will stay at Rayon. (File photo)

JIMMY Gatete’s contract extension talks with Rayon Sport have hit a dead end. It is said that the Blues pulled out citing the veteran striker’s exorbitant demands.

The club’s Secretary General Olivier Gakwaya yesterday admitted that Rayon was interested in extending the striker’s stay at the club but that they had been put off by his outrageous demands.

“He has made it difficult for us. He is asking for huge sums of money which the club can not afford,” Gakwaya said before adding, “For now, I can not disclose the figures.”

Rayon’s head coach Baptiste Kayiranga was also baffled with Gatete’s demands saying, “If he can assess his contribution to the club since he joined, he would not be making such demands,” Kayiranga said of the 27-year-old.

Times Sport could not get a comment from the Amavubi striker by press time as he could not answer his phone.
Gatete joined Rayon two years ago from arch-rivals APR for a second stint having played for the blues between 1996-2000.

The transfer window closes next Friday, two weeks before the league kick-off.

Ends

Have Your SayLeave a comment