Recently, I underwent a root canal treatment for my tooth with Amalgam. Someone has told me that Amalgam is bad for health. Kindly suggest whether I should remove it and go for another filling. If so, which material? Hakim, 28, Kiyovu.
Amalgam used for root canal treatment and other dental fixations has proved to be economical and most durable solution over a long time. It is a mixture of mercury, silver tin and copper.The mercury present is released in vapor form slowly and can be inhaled. However numerous studies have proven that the amount of mercury present in amalgam is safe and does not pose the risk of health hazards associated with mercury like kidney and brain damage. It can be used safely for adults and children above six years.
However an individual can have allergy to mercury or any of the elements present in the skin causing recurrent oral lesions, breathing problems or skin rashes. That is the only risk. If you do not have allergy to mercury or any of the components present in amalgam, you can continue with it safely.