Nairobi – Motor vehicles importers in Kenya have appealed to the government to give a 100 per cent waiver on used motor vehicles being held at the port of Mombasa. The vehicles arrived at the port of Mombasa late last year and early this year.
The Car Importers Association of Kenya wants the industrialisation cabinet secretary Adan Mohammed to intervene and have the more than 2,000 units released.
The 2006 used motor vehicles are said to have exceeded the eight years age limit hence are being held at the port.
Others are said to have expired certificates of inspections which were issued during the time of inspection in the country of origin.
However, the association national chairman Peter Otieno said the vehicles arrived in the country in late December with some arriving in early January due to unavoidable circumstance hence they are still valid.
“The vehicles arrived in the country before December 31, and other arrived in 2014 due to unavoidable shipping logistical problems. They could not be cleared on time. There is also a misunderstanding of age of the units from the date of registration,” said Otieno.