When girls are young they fantasize about the man they will marry and that happy-ever-after kind of life. As they grow, they realise it is more complex than they imagined.
I decided to do some research on who a real man is. What are the attributes of a real man? As I talked to different people I was amazed that most of them had little to say. I once eavesdropped on a parent saying to her daughter, “You have to get a wealthy man, times have changed. He may mistreat you because all your needs are taken care of. Do not worry about what people will say even if he is too old. They will soon keep quiet.” I chewed on that statement and even though it is very much valid today, I still struggle with the fact that it is okay to trade our happiness for material gain. Below is what a real man should be like.
• A real man is one who doesn’t have to put up an image. It comes naturally. Looks are not his core priority. He values your personality, your intelligence and hard work.
• A real man will never be intimidated by your inovation. A man with goals and principles will always strive to get a woman of the same calibre. A man who is threatened by an ambitious woman is weak. There is no time to deal with his insecurities. A man who will do anything in his power to slow you down or even kill your dreams is not worth your time. A woman needs a man who will be her biggest fan.
• A man worth committing the whole of your life to should be man enough to tackle and solve problems as they come. This is a man who does not regress or digress but will safely put out the flames. This is a man that will not be afraid to say he is sorry. But above all this is a man that is willing to dance with you, to whatever tune comes along!
• A real man values commitment, he has no time for playing games. He does not pull manipulative strings to have you by his side. A real man will be honest and truthful even if it means risking losing you.
• A real man will work to earn your trust and after earning it he will strive to keep it. He is confident of himself and will protect you. He will give you the liberty to exercise your rights as a woman.
• A real man will always bring out the best in his woman and do what it takes to keep her smiling. A man who belittles a lady and makes her feel unworthy does not have that woman at heart.