Do you have an idea for The New Times to cover? Submit it here!

RIB hunts two thugs who assaulted mobile money agent

Jeannette Tuyisenge was attacked by two thugs when she went to a public toilet behind a commercial building.

Rwanda Investigation Bureau (RIB) has said it is hunting for two thugs who carried out a vicious attack on an MTN mobile money agent on Sunday in Migina, Remera Sector, Gasabo District.

RIB spokesperson Marie Michelle Umuhoza confirmed the incident, adding that that they had started the manhunt.


Jeannette Tuyisenge was attacked by two thugs when she went to a public toilet behind a commercial building that houses a betting business and a beverage warehouse opposite the main entrance of the Amahoro National Stadium.  


The incident was caught on CCTV cameras and its footage later surfaced on social media showing two youthful men pouncing on her before violently forcing her to the ground and savagely strangling, and punching and kicking her several times on the head and abdomen. 


Perhaps realising that the mother of two was too weak to stand on her own let alone pursue them, the thugs left the scene of crime with her bag, which contained Rwf250,000, airtime vouchers which she had just purchased, two phones, among others.

From the chilling footage, it’s clear the attackers had been monitoring Tuyisenge – easily identified by the yellow vest that MTN mobile money agents normally wear – before assaulting her.

When The New Times visited the crime scene on Wednesday, a man who identified himself as Munyamahoro said he was the first to respond after he heard someone groaning in pain and calling for help.  

He said the incident took place at around 4p.m.

“Everyone was shocked, nothing like this has happened here in the way this attack happened and I have been working here for seven years,” said Munyamahoro, who manages several commercial buildings on the busy street.

Tuyisenge was immediately rushed to Kacyiru District Hospital where she was treated for head injuries and abdominal pains, he said.

The New Times briefly spoke to her through her sister’s phone but she was still in great pain. She had returned to hospital for treatment when she spoke to this reporter.

Tuyishime said she was nursing a wound on the head and complained of abdominal pains. Her sister said medics were still conducting tests to ascertain whether the attackers had inflicted damage on any of her internal organs.

Some of the people in the area said they had identified the attackers, adding that one of them was a notorious thug who has been in and out of prison on several occasions.

Subscribe to The New Times E-Paper

For news tips and story ideas please WhatsApp +250 788 310 999    


Follow The New Times on Google News