The Government said yesterday that Rwandan dissident Callixte Nsabimana is in custody in Rwanda and is expected to be formally charged before court soon.
Prosecution told The New Times that Nsabimana, who was wanted for various offences, including formation of an irregular armed group, will be tried in a civil court.
He was also wanted for complicity in committing terrorist acts, conspiracy and incitement to commit terrorist acts, taking persons hostage, murder and looting.
He was one of the leaders of a terrorist group that calls itself FLN.
He was part of a terrorist group operating from DR Congo in close cooperation with elements seeking to destabilise Rwanda, including Rwanda National Congress and FDLR.
Speaking at a news briefing on Tuesday Morning, the Minister for Foreign Affairs and Government Spokesperson, Dr Richard Sezibera, said that Nsabimana will face trial in the coming days.
A statement by the Rwanda Investigation Bureau said that Nsabimana’s case file will be submitted to the National Public Prosecution Authority in accordance with Rwandan criminal procedure.
Sezibera, who was speaking after a meeting with foreign diplomats accredited to Rwanda, said that they had sought the cooperation of countries hosting fugitives hostile to Rwanda to help bring them to book.
A number of individuals who have been attempting to destabilise the country are currently based abroad where they sought asylum.
Among them include Paul Rusesabagina, who is currently based in Belgium; Faustin Ntilikina, who is exiled in France; Kayumba Nyamwasa, based in South Africa; David Himbara, in Canada, among others.
Sezibera said that they would work with those host countries to have the wanted fugitives apprehended as they were causing insecurity in Rwanda while seeking protection and asylum in foreign countries.
He said that Nsabimana was first of many to be extradited to face trial in Rwanda.
He, however, noted that Rwanda remains safe for all citizens, residents and visitors. Commenting on some travel advisories issued in the previous week, he said that they were ill-informed or influenced by armed group.
Nsabimana first attracted media attention during the trial of musician Kizito Mihigo, who was accused of working with foreign-based dissidents to conduct subversive activities on the Rwandan territory.
Kizito, who has since been tried, convicted and pardoned, colluded with Nsabimana to plot assassinations of different officials in Rwanda, among other subversive activities.
Before he fled the country, Nsabimana had been dismissed by the then National University of Rwanda – now University of Rwanda – for making the university ungovernable.
He was dismissed for fomenting ethnic divisions at the Huye-based university.