Police in Tanzania on Tuesday, September 15 arrested the owner of Islamic Byamungu English Medium Primary School where 10 pupils died in a dormitory fire outbreak.
According to BBC, at least 10 children in north-western Tanzania died in a dormitory fire early on Monday after they inhaled smoke and were overpowered by the flames.
Another six students who have since been admitted to a hospital in the north-western Kagera region are in critical condition.
Marco Kaguti, Regional Commissioner told the media that the dormitory was housing boys aged six to ten years.
Kaguti also noted that the source of the fire was in one of the school's dormitories where 74 children had been residing.
Meanwhile, The Inspector General of Police, Simon Sirro, said the electrical wiring in the dormitory was faulty, and the entire building crumbled when the roof collapsed - an indication that the building materials used were substandard.
Various reports indicate that school fire tragedies happen often in the region and there are calls for enhanced safety in institutions.
In July, three students were killed in the main city, Dar es Salaam, after a dormitory at Ilala Islamic Secondary School caught fire.Follow https://twitter.com/EdwinAshimwe