Rwanda Broadcasting Agency (RBA) on Monday said that the digital migration process which kicked off in January this year is on as planned.
This comes after RBA switched off three transmitter sites; Mugogo, Rubona and Gitwe on January 31, which affected viewers in Musanze, Ngororero, Karongi, Rubavu, Ngoma, Kayonza and surrounding areas. The body, tasked with facilitating the migration through its technical director Innocent Nkurunziza, said they have been evaluating the process and have established that it has been well adopted, adding that the number of people without decoders has significantly dropped.
“Most people are on the digital platform and more are still purchasing decoders or subscribing to either GOtv or Star Times,” Nkurunziza said. He cited transmission interference as one of the major challenges during the migration process. This was solved by allocating different frequencies.
Star Times had accused the new entrant GoTv of interfering with their signal in the process causing them not to deliver services to clients.
“There was a problem of interference between GOtv and Star Times and that was resolved by changing the frequency.”
Tele 10 marketing manager, Kim Kizito noted that distribution of the set boxes had been ongoing all through the period using the appointed distributors and retailers all over the country, disputing reports that there had been an interruption in distribution due to the shortage of the boxes.