SA firm hired to examine business barriers in Rwanda

GASABO - A South African firm, Strategic Business Partnerships for Growth in Africa (SBP), is conducting a study on compliance costs and administrative barriers affecting business in Rwanda.
Emmanuel Hategeka.
Emmanuel Hategeka.

GASABO - A South African firm, Strategic Business Partnerships for Growth in Africa (SBP), is conducting a study on compliance costs and administrative barriers affecting business in Rwanda.

The study funded by the German Agency for Technical Cooperation (GTZ), is to provide a report that looks closely at the most costly and troublesome regulations affecting firms in Rwanda.

According to information from the SBP team during the validation workshop held Thursday at Prime Holdings, the report will also highlight arduous administrative procedures.

The team continued that the report will provide business and government information about the effects of regulations on business on the economy.

Also according to the team, the study is necessary since even the most socially required regulations can create unnecessary costs and may need to be revised or simplified.

Emmanuel Hategeka, the Secretary General of the Private Sector Federation (PSF) revealed that the study begun as early as January with the final report expected in one month’s time.

Adding: “It is an eye opener that will help to improve business advocacy in the country.”

Hategeka said that SBP’s findings will provide an important basis for informed policy debates around a more enabling environment for business growth.

He further noted that the final report will be presented to the Senate for debate to find necessary adjustment in policy making.

The study is covering 400 businesses in the informal sector, 60 percent of which are within Kigali while the rest (40 percent) are from the country’s four provinces. The businesses being examined range from very large companies to very small enterprises.

Details of the abstract findings were not availed to the media since it was a closed session for only stakeholders on the subject.

However, at the workshop, the SBP team presented a draft report on broadened barriers for the business community, stakeholders and associates’ inputs.

The business community commended the draft report but urged the research team to come up with a detailed one specifying actual areas of concern.

Ends

 

Have Your SayLeave a comment