Officials meet over exam malpractice

Educators and other stakeholders on Wednesday vowed to end examination malpractices in the Eastern Province.

Educators and other stakeholders on Wednesday vowed to end examination malpractices in the Eastern Province.

According to statistics from the Rwanda Education Board (Reb), the province accounted for the highest number of candidates whose results were withheld due to alleged examination malpractices.

The move comes as candidates in primary and secondary schools gear up for the national examinations due in November.

The meeting brought together officials from Reb, head teachers and local leaders from the province.

Emmanuel Muvunyi, the in charge of examinations at Reb, urged teachers to observe ethics when guiding students.

“All stakeholders should play a part in the smooth running of exams…last year’s student disqualifications should serve as a lesson. The forthcoming national examinations should be free of fraud,” he said, adding that cheating affects the quality of education.

Jean Marie Makombe, the Executive Secretary of the province, warned teachers against condoning examination practices.

Without naming any particular school, Makombe said it was a shame for a person entrusted by parents to educate their children to turn around and use dubious methods to help the students pass.

“It is inconceivable that teachers helped students to cheat exams in some of our schools. We have put in place mechanisms that will not allow such a thing to happen again,” he said.

Parents who spoke to The New Times said candidates, especially in private schools, are aware that they would be helped during the examinations, by their teachers, hence put less or no effort in preparations for the exams.

End of year examinations for primary schools are expected to start on October 21 while lower and upper secondary school examinations will start on October 29.

 

Have Your SayLeave a comment