Patriots’ Hakizimana out for three months with shoulder injury

Patriots’ shooting guard Lionel Hakizimana continues his recovery from a shoulder injury after undergoing successful surgery last month at King Faisal Hospital.
Hakizimana at his home in Nyamirambo. The Patriots' shooting guard is expected to be sidelined for up to three months. Elisee Mpirwa.
Hakizimana at his home in Nyamirambo. The Patriots' shooting guard is expected to be sidelined for up to three months. Elisee Mpirwa.

Patriots’ shooting guard Lionel Hakizimana continues his recovery from a shoulder injury after undergoing successful surgery last month at King Faisal Hospital.

Three-time Rwandan National League MVP was told that he’ll be able to play again after three months.

The 29 year-old five-time league champion broke a bone in the left shoulder during a StarTimes National Basketball League game against IPRC-Kigali in December, but played on till late January when he started feeling a lot more pain.

“We were playing against IPRC-Kigali, suddenly someone knocked my shoulder, I felt some paid but I played the next four games and then I started feeling too much pain.”

“I decided to see the doctor, who recommended that I should undergo surgery on February 12,” Rwanda international and former Espoir star, Hakizimana said in a recent interview with Times Sport at his home in Nyamirambo.

An employee of Bank of Kigali, Hakizimana says that his club, Patriots have been supportive during his time in hospital.

Together with national team shooting guard and Canada’s New Direction player, Hamza Ruhezamihigo, Hakizamana had launched training clinics for young basketball players around the country to harness raw talent.

The programme, dubbed HR Training, targets different age groups especially at the grassroots. Young boys between the ages of 5-8, 8-11 and 12-18 will benefit from the programme. They also intend to approach the under 16s and under 18s national teams, both the boys and girls teams.

Hakizimana, who last played for the national team in 2014, clarified that he has not retired from the national side and will be available for selection when he resumes playing.

editorial@newtimes.co.rw

 

Have Your SayLeave a comment