The roads to Muhanga and Musanze have reopened after they had been blocked earlier this week following heavy floods and landslides that claimed lives and destroyed properties.
“The Kigali-Musanze and Kigali-Muhanga roads reopened for traffic” the ministry for disaster management tweeted today.
The Kigali-Muhanga road had been closed yesterday after heavy rains led to the overflow of River Nyabarongo.
However, a ban on heavy trucks remains.
Meanwhile, a statement from the ministry says the Government has started delivering relief aid to the families affected by the floods and landslides.
“The relief operations are now underway in the districts of Gakenke, Muhanga, Rubavu and Ngororero, where floods and landslides destroyed homes and public infrastructure, including roads,” reads part of the statement.
The ministry says it has availed basic support relief kits to families whose houses were destroyed by the disaster. The kits include bed covers, kitchen utensils and hygiene materials.
The government has also provided tents as temporary shelter to families that would be relocated from disaster prone areas.
“In partnership with the Ministry of Agriculture, regular food support will be delivered to the families affected by the disaster starting today, Tuesday 10, May 2016,” the disaster management ministry added.
Yesterday, several government officials led by Prime Minister, Anastase Murekezi joined residents of Gakenke District in the Northern Province for the burial of 35 people who lost their lives in weekend landslides.
Murekezi delivered President Paul Kagame’s condolences to the grieved families and pledged to provide all necessary support to the families of the victims and those affected.