Over 300 Kigali residents who turned up for the Kigali City Council (KCC) meeting that took place at the Kigali Independent University (ULK) over the weekend have reported cases of food poisoning.
The meeting had been called to present KCC’s achievements in 2009, also attracted several senior government officials.
Bruno Rangira, the Director of Communication at KCC, confirmed that out of the 3000 people who attended, 350 later had food poisoning problems while 6 others were admitted in hospital.
“This problem was caused by the fact that the food served to the people that day had been prepared a day before the function and unfortunately, it later went bad.”
“We are very sure that the person who prepared the meal had no ill intentions against participants since we (KCC) know her very well,” he said.
Odette Sumwiza, the proprietor of Agano Restaurant which prepared the meals, said that they cooked the food a day before because big numbers were expected to turn up.
In her statement to the police, Sumwiza said that there was no intention of serving contaminated food to the masses.
However, the Police Spokesperson, Eric Kayiranga told The New Times that he was not aware of this case although Rangira asserts that police is apparently handling the matter.