Gasabo District accounts in red

KIGALI - For several months now, Gasabo district has failed to meet its financial obligations stemming from a loss caused by 8 district officials who have since been dismissed. The revelation was made by the Chairman of the District Advisory Council (DAC), Francois Gakwerere.
RESIGNED; Former Gasabo mayor Claudine Nyinawagaga
RESIGNED; Former Gasabo mayor Claudine Nyinawagaga

KIGALI - For several months now, Gasabo district has failed to meet its financial obligations stemming from a loss caused by 8 district officials who have since been dismissed. 

The revelation was made by the Chairman of the District Advisory Council (DAC), Francois Gakwerere.

The eight workers whom Gakwerere could not name are accused of causing financial losses to the district to the tune of between Rwf1.5 and Rwf2 billion since 2007. The losses were incurred through illegal tendering.

“The district now pays its workers with difficulty since there are no sufficient funds,” said Gakwerere. He added that the district has not been paying RAMA (medical insurance), Social Security Fund dues for their workers and taxes to Rwanda Revenue Authority.

Last year, five Gasabo officials were arrested for allegedly awarding a tender to one businessman, Eugene Bavukiyehe and his wife Chantal Nisengwa.

The officials included the Executive Secretary, Felix Kabandana, and four other members of the Procurement Committee. The group was later released.

After their release, the officials returned to the district demanding to be re-instated in their jobs. This prompted the DAC to set up an adhoc committee to revisit the 2008 Auditor General’s report.

“The findings of the committee were shocking as it dug out just a few of the many cases that implicated the officials in shoddy deals which have cost the district millions of Francs,” Gakwerere told The New Times.

In one of the controversial incidents where Bavukiyehe was supposed to supply food for a prison, he quotes Rwf16 million for a first supply and again Rwf68 million for the second supply of the same quantity.

In this particular tender, the district lost over 35 million.
It is on these grounds that the DAC sat last Saturday and decided to dismiss the eight officials who include, according to independent sources at the district. the Accountant, the Director of Finance, the Budget Officer and the president of the Tender Award Committee

“We have compiled a report on the decision and we are going to forward it to higher authorities,” said the DAC chairman.

Ends

 

Have Your SayLeave a comment