MUHANGA - Three people have tested positive to the Influenza A, H1N1 (swine flu) in Nyamabuye sector, Muhanga District since November 7, authorities said yesterday, warning that more were likely to be infected.
The District Executive Secretary, Celse Gasana said the infections were identified among three American citizens, who had been attending a workshop and staying in Ruvumera.
“We believe that their workers are infected and there is a possibility that the disease is already spreading within the residents.”
By press time, district official had called for TRAC Plus experts to do initial screenings.
“The Americans are currently being treated at King Faisal Hospital, while three Rwandans, who showed symptoms, are currently under treatment at Kabgayi Hospital,” Dr. Patrick Hategikimana of Kabgayi Hospital said.
Residents who spoke to The New Times expressed fear that the disease could rapidly spread.
The Ministry of Health, through TRAC Plus, the National Reference Laboratory and other institutions, continue to monitor the situation closely while improving the capacity of emergency preparedness and surveillance.
Residents have been advised to take precautionary measures including covering their mouths and nose while coughing or sneezing and washing their hands thoroughly with soap and water on a regular basis.
They have also been advised to seek medical attention if they develop any slight symptom of swine flu.
Health experts said that the situation was under control and being monitored.