Deadline for immunisation campaign pushed

The proposed deadline for the recently launched special immunization campaign against polio and measles, has once again been postponed. This was confirmed yesterday by the Manager of the Expanded Programme of Immunisation, Dr. Fidele Ngabo.
This was confirmed yesterday by the Manager of the Expanded Programme of Immunisation, Dr. Fidele Ngabo.
This was confirmed yesterday by the Manager of the Expanded Programme of Immunisation, Dr. Fidele Ngabo.

The proposed deadline for the recently launched special immunization campaign against polio and measles, has once again been postponed.

This was confirmed yesterday by the Manager of the Expanded Programme of Immunisation, Dr. Fidele Ngabo.

He explained that a large number of children were still turning up for the services while children in schools around Kigali had not yet been de-wormed.

“De-worming is in progress at various schools around Kigali while immunization continues at various health centres. Hopefully we will be through with this campaign by Thursday,” he said.

During its launch last week, officials said the initiative aims at eliminating the two diseases in efforts to curb child mortality rates.

Statistics from the Health Ministry show that 95 percent of children countrywide acquire immunization under the national strategy. The special campaign also comes in to reach the remaining 5 percent that miss out.

The target is 1.5 million children for immunization and over 3 million children in schools are on de-worming medication.

As part of the campaign, pregnant women are also receiving iron and folic acid supplements while lactating mothers are receiving treatment solutions (Sur Eau) to ensure use of safe water in their households.

Health partners behind this campaign include, The Access Project, World Health Organization, UNICEF, USAID, the Global Fund, Rwanda Red Cross and PSI among others.

Ends

 

Have Your SayLeave a comment