RWANDA’s Sports Minister Joseph Habineza has rubbished talks of sacking Amavubi head coach Branko Tucak after the team’s home defeat against Egypt.
The Croat was taunted and booed by a big section of the Amahoro stadium crowd after Saturday’s 1-0 defeat against the African champions.
The defeat not only completely smashed Rwanda’s slim chances of qualifying for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa but also dented the country’s prospects of making it to Angola for next year’s Africa Nations Cup.
Speaking to Times Sport, Habineza stressed that Tucak would stay in charge until the end of his contract later this year.
“At this point, we have to let Tucak do his job and hope that we win our remaining matches so that we at least qualify for next year’s CAN in Angola,” the minister said before adding, “Forcing him to resign now is out of the question. Let’s leave him to do his job and assess the results later.”
Meanwhile, Ferwafa boss Brig. Gen. Jean Bosco Kazura has refused to throw in the towel as far as Rwanda’s CAN qualification chances are concerned.
He said, “We have not won in four matches but there is still a possibility of qualifying for CAN if we can win our remaining matches.”
Tucak was appointed Amavubi head coach last year after taking over from fellow countryman Josip Kuze.
On top of his agenda was to guide Rwanda to the 2010 World Cup and African Nations Cup.
The 57-year-old got his off to a wrong start when Rwanda suffered a humiliating 4-0 defeat against Sudan.
During his time as Amavubi coach, Tucak has completely failed to fill Kuze’s shoes. In his six matches in charge, Rwanda won four, drew one and only lost one.
He also guided Amavubi to a second place finish in the 2008 Cecafa Cup.