Getting a bike is really exciting. At last you can go off and join your friends, you can go places that are too far to walk, you can take yourself round to friends, you can go on bike rides, you can ....there is just too much to do! But before you go off cycling into the world, here are some things you need to keep in mind.
• You need a bike that fits you. Growing into a bike too big is not a safe idea.
• Bikes can break down. You need to learn to look after it.
• Bikes are vehicles just like cars, trucks and all the other transport that uses the roads. You need to learn the rules of the road.
• Some car drivers don’t seem to be able to see bike riders. You need to be easily seen. So wear bright colours or a reflective vest over your clothes.
• Bikes can be dangerous. You must wear a helmet to protect your head. Ask your bike shop to help you fit your helmet correctly.
You need to keep yourself safe when you’re riding a bike. You need to concentrate on what you’re doing all the time.
You can keep yourself safe if;
- You look after your bike
- Stay off the roads until you have great skills
- Wear the right gear
- Learn the road rules and follow them
- Stick to cycle lanes and paths whenever you can
- Stay alert to whatever is happening around you
- Take part in a Bike Education course.
All you have to do now is buy a lock for your bike and lock it away at school and at home to keep your bike safe from people who steal. Make sure that you lock up all parts of your bike that could be taken off easily, like wheels, frame and seat.